This blog has moved:

http://www.thebuckmans.com/Mory

In addition to my current writing, all the old posts are collected on the new page.
(You can use your browser's "find" function to find what you're interested in there.)
Your browser does not support Javascript.
This site requires Javascript.
You can see where this becomes a problem.
Without Javascript,
Many posts will look wrong
Comments are inaccessible
Interactive dialogues won't function
Hidden text will never be revealed
The sidebars will not open

If you choose to continue, be warned
That you are missing crucial elements
Of I Am Not's design.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

~A Good Day


GAME OVER



Press START to go to Main Menu

A Good Day

When I woke up and went to my computer, the first thing I did was open Notepad so I could have another argument. I was told I'd have to get started working right away, but I decided to be a bit rebellious.

First I watched the bits of the 1776 DVD that I was in, to see how I did. It turns out, I'm a really bad actor. I was making all the amateur mistakes that I thought I'd gotten over. I shut it off around 1:00 PM, when my character went to the back of the crowd (where he'd stay).

I took a shower, got dressed, had lunch, and went over to Eli's house. Eli said he'd let me play The Path on his computer some time. I decided that "some time" was today. The Path is a pure exploration game from the people who made The Graveyard, so I was expecting great things. I wasn't disappointed: The Path is awesome. It's based on "Little Red Riding Hood". You play as several different girls of different ages, who each walk through the forest to Grandma's house (Grandma's house representing death) and find a metaphorical wolf, different for each of them. The wolf represents the loss of innocence for that particular character. We played four girls, and got to the wolf in each. (By my interpretation one was the indifference of the world, one was a sexual predator, one was lust and one was the over-analysis of everything.) Once you get to the wolf, life discards you back on the path to Grandma's house. And then you get to the pay-off, because "Grandma's house" itself is possibly the greatest achievement in world design ever.

I came home a few hours later, played piano for an hour or so and went back to my computer.

I've been rewatching Lost recently because the fifth-season cliffhanger has me utterly enthralled and the next episode is in eight months. I'm up to the middle of Season 2 already, so I watched the next two episodes from there. I also listened to the corresponding official podcasts, because I didn't know that existed back when I was watching Lost the first time. I think Lost may prove to be the best show ever on TV (unseating Babylon 5), depending on how the final season goes. (If the final season doesn't pay off all the promises they've made, then it'll just be an excellent show. Maybe a few notches above Battlestar Galactica, but not as good as, say, Felicity.) Half the fun of the show is trying to figure out the big picture. That picture may be compelling and sensible, or it may be ridiculous and contradictory. I'll have to wait until next year to find out which, but in the meantime I'm trying to sift through the clues and form my own theories.

After Lost and supper and more Lost, I went next door for games night. We played three games, and I came in dead last in three games. It was so much fun. The middle game in particular (Santiago) had such weird tactics going on, and so much evil all over the place, and so many surprises. The best part was when we all passed on a strong-looking property because it would have to go with a weaker property that no one wanted. When it was Avri's turn he realized that if he took the weaker property the next player would take the stronger property, they'd go together well and he'd make tons of money. It was a completely counter-intuitive move, but after we saw that he was doing it and understood the logic we were all beating ourselves up for not realizing that we could have done it! Now that's a rare kind of situation. In the last game (Die Sieben Siegel), I opted to do something that hurt me because it would hurt another player more, and when he got back at me it messed up all my plans. It was terrific.

At around 1:15 AM or so we called it a night. I went home in a great mood, had some coconut yogurt and Nestea, and started writing up this post. At the end of the day, I am in fact a lazy bum. And I feel like I can live with that.

8404209022717223806

1 Comments:

Though you came in last in Santiago, you would have come in second if I took your bribe I think, so I wouldn't call it dead last.

Really my choice of whose bribe to take in the end was pretty arbitrary.

I think it was really played by all sides. It was the most enjoyable game of Santiago I've ever played. Hysterical situations, everybody made a mistake or two, a really brilliant move or two, etc. I think if Eliezer had played nice with you with the bannanas (like he should have) the end of game would have been different.

But yeah, it was one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, and not just because I won :) That was entirely secondary.

 

Post a Comment