This blog has moved:

http://www.thebuckmans.com/Mory

In addition to my current writing, all the old posts are collected on the new page.
(You can use your browser's "find" function to find what you're interested in there.)
Your browser does not support Javascript.
This site requires Javascript.
You can see where this becomes a problem.
Without Javascript,
Many posts will look wrong
Comments are inaccessible
Interactive dialogues won't function
Hidden text will never be revealed
The sidebars will not open

If you choose to continue, be warned
That you are missing crucial elements
Of I Am Not's design.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Simplify!

My game, right now, is a mess. There are so many rules, each one adding a little bit to the metaphor, and I understand them all perfectly. There are some people who help, and some people who harm, and the only way to tell them apart is by watching what they do. They change their behavior if you take off their hats. This makes sense to me.

But when I think about how I'm going to explain this to the player, I come up short. These aren't obvious rules at all, and they only seem obvious because I've been thinking about them for so long.

So I've got to (temporarily) stop adding rules and start taking away rules. I could have the most sophisticated gameplay-as-metaphor ever, but if no one understands it but me, then what's the point?

2607846143069689327

0 Comments:

Post a Comment