This blog has moved:

http://www.thebuckmans.com/Mory

In addition to my current writing, all the old posts are collected on the new page.
(You can use your browser's "find" function to find what you're interested in there.)
Your browser does not support Javascript.
This site requires Javascript.
You can see where this becomes a problem.
Without Javascript,
Many posts will look wrong
Comments are inaccessible
Interactive dialogues won't function
Hidden text will never be revealed
The sidebars will not open

If you choose to continue, be warned
That you are missing crucial elements
Of I Am Not's design.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hollow Depth.

I was wondering this morning what an RPG would be like if every non-player character had a story, a personality, etc. If you could stop and just observe, seeing a fictional way of life as vivid as any in reality. If it felt like these characters were living their own lives, whether or not you know anything about it. Very few people would actually listen to all their stories; very few people would care to. I wouldn't. But it would add so much depth to the experience, don't you think?











There was a kitten in our back yard yesterday. We didn't know how it had gotten there, but there it was, crying. It seemed healthy enough; we gave it food and drink. I didn't pay much attention to it. I don't know anything about it- I don't even know if it was male or female. I don't know what went wrong. This afternoon, it died.











I don't know anything about Gary Pollevoy- I don't even remember her face. My mother just got a call- She died.











...











114660464839028950

1 Comments:

I don't think people would like that kind of depth in an RPG. People like to feel that they are important, that the world revolves around them. They forget that there are billions of people surrounding them, and they live for themselves.

We could do with more caring, with more interest in the rest of the world - but it isn't really expected of us. We're here to live our own lives, not anyone else's.

Sometimes we try to care. We pay attention to everyone and momentarily forget about ourselves. But we cannot take much of that. It is in our nature to ignore things which have no interest or relevance to ourselves.

And thus we continue to lead our selfish lives. It's who we are.

 

Post a Comment