This blog has moved:

http://www.thebuckmans.com/Mory

In addition to my current writing, all the old posts are collected on the new page.
(You can use your browser's "find" function to find what you're interested in there.)
Your browser does not support Javascript.
This site requires Javascript.
You can see where this becomes a problem.
Without Javascript,
Many posts will look wrong
Comments are inaccessible
Interactive dialogues won't function
Hidden text will never be revealed
The sidebars will not open

If you choose to continue, be warned
That you are missing crucial elements
Of I Am Not's design.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

~Seventy-four

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Seventy-four

As you may have gathered over the past few years, 74 is my favorite number. This is because there was once a moment in my life where I said to myself, "From this moment on, 74 is going to be my favorite number.". I was 17, I was in high school, and I was playing WarioWare: Mega Microgame$ on my Game Boy Advance. More specifically, I was playing the paper airplane minigame. (This is the same minigame which has since been expanded into a DSi downloadable game.) I kept playing it over and over, and I kept dying at roughly 74 points. That was the moment I decided it would be my favorite number. I know, it's not earth-shattering. But it's not like I pick random favorite numbers every day. I guess I wasn't ready until that very moment. When you see the number, you just know it's the one. Or the seventy-four, as the case may be.

There are a few interesting coincidences of the number in my life, which I only discovered later. For instance, at the point when I was playing that game, my father was 47 years old and my grandfather was 74 years old. And then there's the G'matriya. G'matriya is a little number game rabbis like to play, where each Hebrew letter has a numerical value and the value of any word is the sum of its letters. The G'matriya of "Mordechai" is 274. And the G'matriya of "Mordechai Ariel Buckman", by its Hebrew spelling, is 714. See, that's just cool. Oh, and Dr. Hans Asperger (grrr) died at 74.

But even without all that stuff, it'd still be my favorite number. I've used it as the title for all my posts here which are short and random, because the title "74" is short and random. It didn't occur to me to use it as a way to control the structure of the blog until my seventh 74 post, which just so happened (I swear I did not plan this out!) to be my 74th post overall.

I'd like to live forever, but I suspect I'll actually die at the age of 74. Alternatively, I might die in the year 2174, 13 years after the United Federation of Planets is formed. I like that version of the story better.

8769016695509558582

0 Comments:

Post a Comment